Our Monthly Story
Just Family Mausoleum
Plot 2, Lot 10, Private Mausoleum
Mount Pleasant Cemetery
This mausoleum was originally erected to house the mortal remains of Sir Frank Baillie. Baillie was born in Toronto on August 19, 1875 and after a period of time as a clerk with the Central Canada Load and Savings Company, he was appointed private secretary to the company’s founder George A. Cox (whose private mausoleum stands nearby). In later years Baillie organized his own brokerage company in Toronto, the Burlington Steel Company, the Dominion Steel Foundry Company, and at the start of the First World War, the Canadian Cartridge Company — the last three being located in Hamilton, Ontario.
In 1916, Baillie was appointed director of aviation for Canada, Imperial Munitions Board, and in the same month established Canadian Aeroplanes Limited which was created for the purpose of supplying the Royal Air Force with flying machines. He was knighted on January 9, 1918.
While residing at 146 Crescent Road in Rosedale, he took sick on Christmas Days, 1920 and, after a brief illness, died at Wellesley Hospital on January 2, 1921. This mausoleum was built by his widow Lady Edith Baillie. In 1965, Sir Frank Baillie’s remains were moved to St. Jude’s Cemetery in Oakville, Ontario. The mausoleum remained empty for many years. In the early 1970s, the former Baillie mausoleum was purchased by the Just family and is now the final resting place of Gladys Irene (d. 1970) and Gloria Irene (d.1977) Just, daughters of Thomas Fullerton Just, a prominent mining equipment dealer who lived in Westmount, Quebec. The Just name is now found over the door where the Baillie name was originally located.
» Story Archives