Serving Richmond Hill and Surrounding Communities
Elgin Mills Cemetery has been providing service to the town of Richmond Hill and the communities of Markham, Aurora and Thornhill, since 1979. The headwaters of the Rouge River run through the east end of this young, vibrant cemetery. The numerous trees planted throughout Elgin Mills include the “nuttery,” a collection of nut-bearing trees that blossom in the spring. The cemetery’s large flowerbeds are planted seasonally, and feeding stations attract birds and wildlife.
Elgin Mills offers:
- A full range of interment choices providing for ground burial, cremation
and mausoleum entombment;
- Veterans’ section;
- Visitation Centre.
Elgin Mills provides a selection of ground-burial options, including:
- Single graves, which can accommodate two caskets
plus cremated remains and which permit a flat
- Single graves that permit an upright monument;
- Larger lots of two or more graves that permit an upright monument.
The veterans’ section, dedicated to Canadian and Allied veterans and their spouses, features an impressive veterans’ memorial. As a recognition of veterans’ service to their country, the costs of interment rights in this section are reduced.
Increasingly chosen as an option in the commemorative process, cremation is simply one method of preparing remains for final disposition. Many who choose cremation will also want a lasting memorial, and a place for family and friends to go to pay tribute and remember. Often, final disposition is in a columbarium, which is an arrangement of niches containing cremation urns.
For those who choose cremation, Elgin Mills offers a number of possibilities, including:
- A landscaped columbarium with granite-fronted niches that can be inscribed on the front;
- Special feature areas for urn burial;
- Urn space adjacent to a granite wall, upon which inscriptions may be placed;
- An indoor columbarium containing glass-fronted niches where small mementoes may be placed beside the visible urn.
Back to top
This choice, which provides for above ground burial, involves placing a casket inside a crypt, which is then sealed. Elgin Mills has two mausoleums: a garden court mausoleum, which is an outdoor structure with granite crypt fronts, upon which inscriptions may be placed; and, the indoor Mausoleum of the Heavens, with white marble crypt fronts.
Mausoleum of the Heavens
Conveniently located just inside the main entrance gates at Elgin Mills, the intimate one storey 144-crypt Mausoleum of the Heavens features:
- A spectacular barrelled ceiling with a hand-painted sky relief;
- An extraordinary stained-glass window;
- Rich Italian white Carrara marble crypt fronts;
- Fine leather furniture;
- A choice of several bronze vases, lamps, photo frames and lettering styles;
- No yearly hydro, maintenance or hidden fees;
- Heating and air conditioning.
One of our representatives would be pleased to take you on a personal, no-obligation tour of this magnificent structure.
Please call 905-737-1720 or 1-866-293-1257 to make an appointment.
The Visitation Centre offers the option of holding the visitation, chapel service, burial and reception in one location. Situated alongside expansive grounds, the bright and open facility includes:
- A chapel that seats 200 people and is notable for a three-storey-high glass wall with a view to an outdoor garden;
- Two large visitation rooms, which can each accommodate 75 people or can be made into one large room;
- Two reception rooms, which also accommodate 75 people. Each one features a fireplace and access to the garden and terrace, and is complete with a refrigerator, microwave and dishwasher;
- Product-selection rooms, where you may view the innovative products we offer, including caskets and burial vaults, urns and keepsake jewellery.
Elgin Mills Cemetery, Crematorium and Visitation Centre
Toll Free 1-866-293-1257