Nestled Amid the Pines
Pine Hills Cemetery has served the Scarborough area since 1928. Since its inception, more than 17,500 trees and shrubs such as white ash, maple, black cherry and elm have been planted in the cemetery. Massey Creek meanders through the property, and birds and other wildlife can be seen in their natural habitat. Numerous flowerbeds contribute to the serene setting. Pine Hills is also notable for its multicultural staff, who speak a variety of languages.
Services and Features
Pine Hills offers:
- A broad range of interment choices providing for
ground burial, cremation and entombment;
- Veterans’ section;
- A Visitation Centre.
Pine Hills offers a selection of ground-burial options,
- Single graves, which can accommodate two caskets
plus cremated remains and which permit a flat
- Single graves adjacent to a wall, on which an inscription can be placed;
- Single graves adjacent to a Memorial Rail to which a bronze marker may be attached;
- Single graves that permit an upright monument;
- Larger lots of two or more graves that permit an upright monument.
Increasingly chosen as an option in the commemorative process, cremation is simply one method of preparing remains for final disposition. Many who choose cremation will also want a lasting memorial, and a place for family and friends to go to pay tribute and remember. Often, the final resting place is in a columbarium, which is an arrangement of niches containing cremation urns.
For those who choose cremation, Pine Hills offers a number of possibilities, including:
- A landscaped columbarium with bronze-fronted niches that can be inscribed on the front;
- Cremation burial options, including curb urn spaces and arbor niches;
- Urn spaces within several featured areas;
- Ashes can be scattered in one of the memorial scattering areas, along the nature walk or within the herb and wildflower garden, where Canadian artist Gordon Becker’s three Douglas-fir “totems” hold small memorial plaques.
Back to top
This choice, which provides for above-ground burial indoors, involves placing a casket inside a crypt, which is then sealed.
Recognizing that the needs of those preferring entombment in the Scarborough and the eastern GTA community have not been sufficiently met locally, Pine Hills Cemetery constructed the Mausoleum of the Risen Christ. The mausoleum is located just inside the Kennedy Road gates and offers single, companion and tandem crypts.
Mausoleum of the Risen Christ
The Mausoleum of The Risen Christ at Pine Hills Cemetery, is a climate controlled facility which offers the following features:
- One storey mausoleum providing an intimate atmosphere for reflection;
- An extraordinary statue of the Risen Christ;
- Crypt fronts of Italian white Carrara marble
- Heating and air conditioning;
- No yearly hydro, maintenance or other hidden fees;
- A choice of several bronze vases, lamps, photo frames and lettering styles;
- Easy access by either car or TTC.
No longer must you settle for only one style of bronze letters and vesper lights. A variety of unique bronze crypt-front memorialization options and adornments are available in the Mausoleum of The Risen Christ. There are a variety of vesper lights providing candle-like lighting effects in elegant colour finishes, and several bronze lettering styles available.
The Mausoleum of The Risen Christ blends modern architectural features with old-world traditions and craftsmanship into a state-of-the-art, heated and air-conditioned facility, and provides you and your family with the benefit of choice of memorialization options.
Mount Pleasant Group of Cemeteries is proud to be the first cemetery company in Canada to provide dedicated veterans’ sections honouring Canadian and Allied veterans and their spouses. As a recognition of veterans’ service to their country, the costs of interment rights in this section are reduced.
Pine Hills’ Visitation Centre was the first such facility established in Toronto, and is unique to the Scarborough area. The Centre includes:
- A lovely chapel, with warm wood and stone decor, high ceilings and a bright, spacious atmosphere, thanks to the full glass wall that allows daylight to stream in. The chapel seats up to 200, and has sliding glass windows opening onto a private patio with a flowing stream;
- Large reception rooms that provide areas for receptions, traditional visitations or intimate memorial services, with adjoining outdoor patio;
- Visitation or gathering rooms, which can each accommodate 75 to 100 people;
- Two product-selection rooms, where you may view the innovative products we offer, including caskets and burial vaults, urns and keepsake jewellery;
- Audio-visual features. In the chapel, a video screen descends from the ceiling to provide an optimal view of the service. Alternatively, you can supply a personal video that can be projected onto the screen. You can also obtain a video recording of the service. The audio system allows you to choose your own musical selection for the room you are using.
Pine Hills Cemetery and Visitation Centre