Back to Gallery
Known as the “Cemetery with the pond,” Thornton has been serving Oshawa, Whitby and neighbouring communities since 1984. A rolling countryside, tranquil pond, colourful flowerbeds and numerous birdhouses enhance the cemetery’s natural, park-like setting.
The architecture and building materials of the cemetery’s office, chapel, cremation centre and mausoleum reflect the rural and religious buildings of Oshawa’s history. The warm red brick of the buildings, for example, is found in many Ontario farm homes, and the chapel features stained-glass works of art.
Thornton is currently undergoing a major renovation, with an expected completion date of 2017.
Ground Burial Options
- Single graves accommodate up to two burial containers - caskets or cremation urns - and a flat marker
- Single graves adjacent to a brick wall with a marker
- Single graves that permit an upright monument
- Larger lots of two or more graves that permits an upright monument
- Two indoor chapel columbariums, offering wood- and glass-fronted niches
- Outdoor granite columbariums
- Cremation burial plots which permit upright monuments, or are adjacent to walls or boulders
- An ossuary surrounded by granite columns for inscriptions
- Memorial areas where cremated remains can be scattered
Thornton’s mausoleum is an outdoor structure in a garden-court design that allows for inscriptions on the granite crypt fronts.
The veterans’ section, dedicated to Canadian and Allied veterans and their spouses, is distinguished by a memorial in the form of a polished granite pyramid set atop a base of rough-hewn granite. In recognition of veterans’ service to their country, the costs of interment rights in this section are reduced.
1200 Thornton Road North
Oshawa, ON L1H 7K4