Elizabeth Lee Johnson
Beechwood Cemetery, Vaughan
Elizabeth Lee Johnson was born in Belfast, Ulster. As a young child, she moved with her family to Kamloops, British Columbia, where her father worked as a paymaster on the Canadian Pacific Railway. The family moved to Toronto in the early 1900s, and her father was ordained as a minister there. In 1928, Elizabeth went to Queen’s University graduating in 1931 with honours in arts with a specialty in classics. Until she married her husband, William, in 1936, Elizabeth taught Latin at Collegiate Institute in Merritton (which today is a suburb of St. Catharines). Described by her husband as “a good organizer and very popular,” Elizabeth Johnson was a very community-minded individual. As a member of the Central United Church, she was very active in the church and various women's groups. She co-founded a music club in Weston, where people would gather to play classical piano. She was a long-time member and two-time president of the University Women’s Club. She filled the rest of her time supply teaching, or playing tennis at the Weston Tennis Club. She also played competitively, winning trophies for the club’s ladies doubles championship in 1966 and the mixed doubles championship in 1967. Elizabeth died on August 31, 1987.