Daniel Lamb

Plot X, Lot 50
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto

Daniel Lamb’s father Peter Lamb, emigrated to Upper Canada (after 1867, Ontario) from England in 1824, and settled in Orillia. A few years later Peter and his young wife moved to Toronto where Lamb established a blacking and glue-manufacturing factory, just west of the Don Valley near the end of today’s Winchester Street. In 1842, a son, Daniel, was born and after attending school, took over his father’s business which he ran until the second of two serious fires destroyed the factory complex for good in 1888.
   Daniel Lamb is better remembered, however, for his years as a member of city council, being first elected in 1885 and serving almost continuously until 1901. During his 1893-1896 stint on council, Lamb was chairman of the Works Committee and in that capacity he was responsible for the establishment of Riverdale Zoo, the building of Rosedale Drive (now Rosedale Valley Road), the reclamation of Ashbridge’s Bay, and the construction of the Island water filtration plant. He was president of the York Pioneer Society in 1896. Daniel Lamb died at his home, 136 Winchester Street, on August 26, 1920. (See also Peter Lamb, Section K, Lot 68, Toronto Necropolis.)

Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded