Plot V, Lot 47
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Born in Scarborough, England on 1827, Edward Leadlay obtained his education in his hometown and then entered the milling business. He then immigrated to Dundee in the state of New York where he continued to work in the milling business for several more years before moving across the lake and settling in Toronto in 1863. Leadlay helped establish the Standard Woollen Mills and also entered into the leather and sheepskin business with stores on Queen Street, at Crawford, and 87 Front Street East. He was also a senior director of the Dominion Bank. In 1876, Leadlay built a beautiful residence at 25 Esther (now August) Street that is currently used by the Felician Sisters as a school. It was in this house that Edward Leadlay died on September 17, 1899.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded