Plot 10, Lot 171
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Born in Bellwood, Ontario in 1878, the young Tamblyn attended school in Markham and apprentices with a Whitby druggist before attending the Ontario College of Pharmacy on Gerrard Street in Toronto. Having obtained his degree, Tamblyn worked in the Burgess-Powell drug store at 76 Yonge Street for a few years before investing a hard-earned $500 and opening the first drug store under the G. Tamblyn name at the southeast corner of Queen and Lee in the Beach are of the city in 1904. Tamblyn lived a few doors down the street at 16 Lee Avenue. A few years later, after the Tamblyn chain had grown substantially, the entire operation was purchased by United Cigar Stores who in turn were purchased by the owners of the huge Imperial Tobacco empire. In 1929, Tamblyn, who had remained in constant control of the drug store part of business, bought back his company which by then had grown to forty stores and had yearly sales in excess of $4 million. On August 18, 1933 while playing the seventh hole at the Rosedale golf course, Tamblyn suffered a heart attack and died. In recent years, the Tamblyn chain was sold to Boots who then sold out to PharmaPlus.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded