J. McPherson Scott
Plot N, Section 7, Lot 4
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Born in Ayr, Ontario on February 24, 1859, Scott received his primary and secondary education in Galt and then attended the University of Toronto where he graduate with a degree in philosophy in 1877. Twelve years later, Scott graduated from Knox College and was ordained minister of St. John’s Presbyterian Church in east-central Toronto. On December 23, 1913, while Rev. Scott was walking along Broadview Avenue, he was shot by a deranged religious fanatic. Of the six bullets that were shot at him, three missed, two were deflected by a steel eye-glass case the minister habitually carried in his left breast pocket, while a third bullet struck Scott in the hip. The extraordinary work carried out by Rev. Scott during his many years as minister of St. John’s prompted an organization that had been formed in 1908 as the Christian Synagogue to change its name to the Scott Institute. Now located at 502 Spadina Avenue, it is today known as the Scott Mission. J. McPherson Scott died at his residence, 537 Broadview Avenue on February 25, 1920, just one day after his 61st birthday.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded