Masonic Plot

Plot Q, Lot 60
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto

The large burial plot surrounding the striking Masonic monument was given to the Masonic Order in 1883 by one of its most celebrated members, John Ross Robertson, founder of The Evening Telegram newspaper and himself a staunch member of the Craft. The first burial in this plot occurred that same year. The monument, which had been designed by F. B. Gullett, another member of the Craft, was unveiled by Robertson, a past Grand Master on June 24, 1893. The ritual took place following a parade of 800 Masons from the Masonic Temple on Toronto Street through city streets to the cemetery. This is still an active burial plot.

Mike Filey
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded