St. Andrew’s Society Monument
Plot U, Lot 1
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
While 1836 is taken as the founding date for the St. Andrew’s Society in Toronto, early community newspapers indicate that Scotsmen got together to celebrate St. Andrew’s Day as early as 1822. To be completely accurate, however, this benevolent society was formed on May 5, 1836 with William Allan as the organization’s first president. In November of 1886, the society purchased a large burial plot in Mount Pleasant Cemetery. Several years later a handsome monument was erected and dedicated on June 20, 1891 by the society’s president, Dr. Daniel Clark. The first burial in the St. Andrew’s plot was on May 5, 1886 when James Tulloch was laid to rest. This is still an active burial plot.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded