Born in 1826, Leonard Pears was a brick manufacturer in Yorkshire, England. He came to Toronto in 1851, and for the first two years following his arrival in Canada, he worked in the brick yard of Mr. Townsley. In 1856, he started making bricks by contract for the next five years. In 1865, he went to Quebec for two years, completing a contract making bricks for a firm there. Pears returned to Toronto, and slowly expanded his business until his business, the Yorkville and Carlton Brick Manufacturing Company, had increased to such an extent that it was turning out six million brick a year. Pears also served time on the Yorkville Council. He retired in 1889, and died on January 3, 1912.