Henry Langley

Section O, Lot 255
Toronto Necropolis

Henry Langley was probably Ontario’s most respected architect, known especially for Gothic Revival Churches and Second Empire houses, banks and public buildings. A Toronto native, he apprenticed with William Hay. From 1862 to 1869 he was in practice with English immigrant Thomas Gundry. From 1872 to 1883 he practiced with his brother Edward, and his nephew Edmund Burke as Langley, Langley & Burke. In 1872, he built the chapel, porté cochére, and superintendent’s lodge (now used as the cemetery office) at the Necropolis. From 1883 to 1892, he was in practice with his brother as Langley & Burke. From 1892 to 1907, he practiced with his son Charles as Langley & Langley. On January 9, 1907, Henry Langley died on pneumonia at the age of 70.