Eric M. Haldenby
Section 26, Lot 94
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Toronto born Haldenby was educated at Parkdale Collegiate and the University of Toronto and, with the outbreak of war in 1914, graduated from the Officers Training Course with the rank of Lieutenant. He was awarded the Military Cross for his actions at Vimy Ridge in 1917. After the war, Haldenby obtained his degree in architecture and, in 1921, he and A. S. Mathers formed the architectural firm of Mathers and Haldenby, a company that was responsible for the design of many Toronto landmarks including the Bank of Nova Scotia building at King and Bay Streets, the United States Consulate on University Avenue, the David Dunlap Observatory, the Charles H. Best Institute on College Street, and many buildings on the University of Toronto grounds.
Throughout most of his life, Haldenby was closely associated with the 48th Highlanders of Canada, joining that organisation in 1915. He fought with the unit during the First World War and was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel in 1939. Haldenby commanded the 48th overseas during the Second World War. He was responsible for the design of the 48th Highlanders Monument at the north end of Queen’s Park that stands in memory of the 800 Highlanders from Toronto who made the supreme sacrifice. Haldenby was appointed Honorary Colonel of the 48th Highlanders of Canada in 1963. Eric Haldenby died in Sunnybrook Hospital on October 18, 1971 at the age of 78.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded