Sir Albert Edward Kemp

Mausoleum: Rooms H and I, Crypt D
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto

Born on a farm near Clarenceville, Quebec on August 11, 1858, young Edward Kemp was educated in the local school system before striking out on his own in the big city of Montreal. He held down various jobs before deciding to move to Toronto, which he did in 1885. He soon became one-half of a partnership that started a small company called Sheet Metal Products Limited and two years later, Kemp became sole owner. Thanks to the young man's business acumen, the company thrived and was sold in 1927 to General Steel Wares for more than $3 million.
   Kemp was elected to the federal parliament representing East Toronto in 1900 and again in 1904 and 1911. In that last year, he became a member of the prestigious Privy Council and was re-elected by acclamation in 1916 and again in the general election of 1917. During the First World War, Kemp was appointed chairman of the War Purchasing Commission and, as such, was responsible for saving the country millions of dollars through judicious buying and shrewd bargaining. He even returned wages he earned as a public servant during the war years. In 1916, Kemp became minister of overseas military forces, retaining his position until all the troops had been demobilised. It was also in 1917, that Kemp was knighted by King George V. After the war, he was one of Canada's representatives at the Peace Congress at Paris.
In 1921, Kemp was called to the Senate of Canada by Governor General Lord Byng. Back in Toronto, Sir Albert Kemp was one of the founders of the Art Gallery, a regent of Victoria College, a governor of the University of Toronto, and honorary lieutenant-colonel of the Toronto Regiment (3rd Battalion, CEF).
   Early in the morning of August 12, 1929, while holidaying at his summer home “Mississiquoi” on Pigeon Lake and the day after celebrating his seventy-first birthday with Lady Kemp and his family, Kemp died. His body was returned to Toronto and a private funeral service was held on August 14, 1929 in the family’s resident, “Castle Frank,” prior to entombment in the Mount Pleasant Mausoleum. “Castle Frank” was located on Castle Frank Crescent near the site of the original “Castle Frank” of Governor John Graves Simcoe.

Mike Filey
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded

 Story Archives »