Charles S. Blackwell
Plot 2, Lot 6, Private Mausoleum
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Born in Lindsay, Ontario in 1857, Blackwell operated a grocery store in that central Ontario community from 1883 until 1892. Moving to Toronto he established the Park-Blackwell provision business which merged in 1912 with the George Matthews Company and Laing Packing and Provision Company to form Matthews-Blackwell Ltd. Their processing plant was located at the foot of Bathurst Street, east of Fort York and for years, before the plant was expropriated, blocked the extension of Bathurst Street to the waterfront. Blackwell was vice-president of the company until it was purchased in 1919 by Allied Packers of Chicago. Two years later he was appointed to the board of directors of Toronto General Hospital becoming chairman of the organisation in 1931. He was also chairman of the board of the Dominion Bank and well respected for his philanthropic gestures. Blackwell died while on holidays in London, England on June 23, 1932 and was brought back to Toronto for burial.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded