George H. Reed
Plot 15, Section 11, Lot 29
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto
Born in Belleville, Ontario, Reed was still quite young when the family moved to Kincardine. Here the young man received his early education and then entered the University of Toronto from which he graduated with a degree in classics. He taught in Napanee, Bradford, and Markham before moving to the town of North Toronto where, in 1909, he established a secondary school to serve the needs of the fast-growing community. The first classes were held in the Town Hall located at Yonge and Montgomery corner. In 1912, the same year North Toronto became part of the city of Toronto, the cornerstone of a new school on Roehampton Avenue was laid. North Toronto Collegiate Institute opened the following year. Reed served as principal until 1927 when he was succeeded by Colonel F. H. Wood.
Mount Pleasant Cemetery: An Illustrated Guide
Second Edition Revised and Expanded